Frank Ikpefan, Abuja
The leadership of health workers under the umbrella of Joint Health Sector Unions(JOHESU) has said it would proceed with its planned strike following inability of the Federal Government to meet its demands.
JOHESU urged its members to withdraw services from midnight of Sunday, September 13, 2020.
The union said it took the decision at the end of its expanded National Executive Council on Saturday.
The Federal Government, at a conciliatory meeting brokered by the Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige, on Thursday had announced it had an agreement with the unions.
JOHESU leaders, at the end of the meeting which had Minister of State, Labour, Festus Keyamo (SAN); Minister of State, Health, Olorunnimbe Mamora; JOHESU Chairman, Biobelemoye Josiah, and other officials in attendance, were given Saturday 12, September 2020 to report back to the government team.
But in a statement on Sunday morning jointly signed by the leaders of various health unions in the sector, JOHESU stated the unions unanimously agreed that since nothing concrete was achieved at the conciliatory meeting with the Federal Government last week, the strike notice was still germane and alive.
The statement stated: “In the light of the above, the meeting of our expanded NEC was held Saturday 12 September, 2020. And at the end of the meeting, which was held both physically and virtually, it was unanimously agreed that since nothing concrete was achieved at the said meeting with the Federal Government, that the strike notice is still germane and alive.
“Therefore, the 15-day ultimatum still subsists and with effect from midnight of Sunday, 13th September, 2020 our members shall withdraw their services due to to Federal Government’s inability to meet their demands.”
Read the original article on The Nation