Telkom announced earlier on social media that “something game-changing” was in the pipeline. It’s now been revealed that Telkom would be entering the streaming world, with its latest project: TelkomONE and #OpenUpTheIndustry.
Selby Mkhize, TV and Radio host, Telkom brand partner and one of the competition judges, confirmed on Twitter that “Telkom is launching The TelkomOne local content competition”.
“The conversation about [opening up the industry] has been going on for the longest time. That’s why Telkom has stepped up to give local productions a chance.”
Here’s what you need to know, and how content creators can enter the competition.
TelkomONE: What you need to know
As reported by Tech Financials, TelkomONE is the “latest product offering by Telkom”, with a launch date set for November 2020. The new service will feature local content, including music, series and educational content.
Telkom Executive Smart Home and Content, Wanda Mkhize, said it’s a “proudly local and South African service and naturally, we want to host and showcase outstanding content by content producers from our very own shores”.
This includes filmmakers, videographers, writers and directors. The team created the OpenUpTheIndustry initiative, along with amazing prizes for content production.
“Know a filmmaker in your circles? Put them on so they can #OpenUpTheIndustry! They could stand a chance to win R100,000 towards production costs to make their dream a reality!”
You have six weeks to enter Open Up The Industry; what are you waiting for! Read the rules below and head over to TelkomONE to enter.
How to enter #OpenUpTheIndustry
There are three main categories: Mobivela, Comedy and Lifestyle. Mobivela is a “telenovela for mobile”, and entrants will be judged on their ability to capture and tell a real and original short-story.
For the Comedy section, entrants will need to incorporate great storytelling around relatable moments, while the Lifestyle panel will cover cooking, travel, exercise or edutainment content.
The OpenUpTheIndustry competition will be open to entrants 18 years and older. It will run from Monday, 12 October and close at 18:00 SAST on Monday, 30 November 2020.
Entrants can enter between one and three short-form clips of 5 to 10 mins each. In addition, entrants must also stipulate the following information: Content title, description, entry category, video upload, supporting documents and contact details.
#OpenUpTheIndustry judges and prizes
There are three main prizes and the judges will choose one winner from each of the three categories. The winner from each of the categories will walk away with a contract valued at R100 000 to produce a full web series.
The series will be screened on Telkom’s new streaming service. Your judges will be:
- Selby Mkhize, TV and Radio Host
- Wade Mouton, Digital Content Strategist
- Zizo Tshwete, TV and Radio Host
- Taryn Uhlmann, Executive Head: Content
Telkom shared a few tips on how to get the creative juices flowing.
- Pick a theme: Think about it and dig deeper into the details. Explore your environment and think about something that fascinates you.
- Theme Research: Explore your theme and dig deeper into it. Once you have all the details, creating a storyboard will help you visualise.
- Audience: Know the people you’re creating the comedy clips, lifestyle show or Mobivela for.
- Script: Get writing and have some fun doing that!
- Quality: If it’s going to be on a video platform, you don’t want your viewers complaining about the quality. Consider this from a sound and video point of view.
Read the original article on The South African