With a new week upon us, we have you covered with all the latest news in South Africa on Monday 14 September.
Outrage surrounding the use of a South African National Defence Force (SANDF) jet for a failed diplomatic mission to Zimbabwe and subsequent allegations of ANC members breaking lockdown regulations upon their return is set to continue to raise questions, and the tantalising prospect of a shift to Level 1 lockdown looms large.
TODAY’S LATEST NEWS IN SOUTH AFRICA, Monday 14 September
Ramaphosa awaits SANDF jet report
With the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) having allegedly commissioned a probe into a possible breach of lockdown laws during the African National Congress’ (ANC’s) diplomatic trip to Zimbabwe last week, as well as President Cyril Ramaphosa having demanded a report from Defence Minister Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula outlining her decision to allow an SANDF jet to ferry the delegation to our neighbours in the north, we can expect more drama to unfold from this latest scandal within the ruling party.
The Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) and Democratic Alliance (DA) have both called for heads to roll over the scandal.
Level 1 announcement looms
On a more positive note, whispers and hints that South Africa will soon shift from Level 2 to Level 1 of the nationwide lockdown are growing more and more compelling, with both Ramaphosa and Health Minister Zweli Mkhize having cited dwindling daily case number reports and the pleasantly surprising continued decline of said cases during the previous shift as reason to seriously consider moving the country closer to open borders and extensions on gathering limitations.
The tourism sector will be most curious to see how the National Coronavirus Command Council (NCCC) decides to characterise the shift, having insisted that in order to propel South Africa’s economic recovery, borders need to be opened to allow tourism to generate much needed revenue.
Funeral practitioners set to strike
The National Funeral Practitioners of South Africa (Nafupa) have indicated that over 3 000 service providers plan to down tools and join them in strike action from Monday 14 September until midweek, after their calls for better inclusivity in the market went unanswered by Ramaphosa.
Nafupa President Muzi Hlengwa said on Sunday that smaller businesses in the industry are being overlooked by government in favour of corrupt alternatives who are making a killing out of State funerals, with other practitioners left in the lurch begging for a seat at the table. As a result, he said that no funeral services would be offered by the members who have agreed to strike, and that deaths that occur in the interim should be referred to the South African Police Service (SAPS). We’ll keep track of this strike action as the day progresses.
Inquest into slain Ocean Basket owner continues
Sunday evening churned out news of the arrest of two suspects accused of the murder of businesswoman Lizette Deacon and her mother Hettie, with the former having owned an Ocean Basket branch at the Mall of the North in Limpopo
The two suspects, aged 30 and 35-years-old respectively, were arrested in connection with the brutal murder of the two women who were killed at their home in Welgelegen next to Cycard in Polokwane last week Thursday. The police investigation into the murders is ongoing, and we can expect police to offer more information throughout the week.
LATEST WEATHER FORECAST, Monday 14 September
Take a look at weather forecasts for all nine provinces here.
LIVE TRAFFIC UPDATES FOR CAPE TOWN, JOHANNESBURG AND DURBAN
Stay one step ahead of the traffic by viewing our live traffic updates here.
Free daily horoscope, celeb gossip and lucky numbers for Monday 14 September .
Read the original article on The South African